Sunday 25 September 2011

Building the Tamiya TRF Mini (#54000) Shocks

When I bought the M-05, I realised it had a set of shocks that, while better items than what is supplied with the kit, seemed of poor quality. From reading various blogs and forums on the internet, I decided it would be better to get a decent set of shocks on the car that I could strip and repair.  The shocks I chose are the Tamiya M-Chassis Shocks (part number #54000).

These shocks really seem very good quality indeed. I made sure when building the shocks to oil the shafts before I slid them through the O-rings in order to avoid small nicks and cuts to the O-rings. Again, I built the shocks as per the instructions provided. For your information, I adjusted the length of each shock by screwing/unscrewing the shock ends so that the length of each shock when extended is 56.5 mm from end to end. This is my starting point – I will adjust the shock lengths later in the build to equalise droop.

Take a look at the pics to see how it went together.














Also for your info, I built my shocks with 60wt oil, 3-hole pistons in front – 50wt oil, 3-hole pistons in rear. I used the blue (hard) springs on the front and the yellow (medium) springs on the rear from the Tamiya #53333 Spring Set (Short).

No comments:

Post a Comment